Top 5 Reasons to Update your Employee Handbook
The beginning of the year is a great time to take a fresh look at your employee handbook, and make any necessary additions or changes to your existing handbook.
The beginning of the year is a great time to take a fresh look at your employee handbook, and make any necessary additions or changes to your existing handbook. A good rule of thumb is to have your employee handbook reviewed and updated yearly.
An employee handbook details the rules, policies and procedures of your company. It typically covers a variety of topics such as safety and security, harassment, conduct standards, discipline, and communication policies.
Here are 5 reasons to review and update your employee handbook:
- New and Changed Laws – Rules, regulations and laws are frequently changing, and new ones are regularly being issued. It is critical that your company is complying with all the rules which are applicable to it. Minimum wage, family leave laws, technology, and employee classifications are some topics that must be constantly updated in your employee handbook in order to avoid problems or potential litigation.
- Time Gaps – Has it been over a year since you last reviewed your employee handbook? If it is, then it is time for your company to take action. It is recommended that your human resources department stay current on the laws and regulations and frequently update your handbook. We all know however about the increased demands on HR departments these days. Therefore, it may be prudent for you to give this project to an employment law attorney.
- Internal Changes – Has your company made any recent major internal changes, perhaps due to a restructuring, new ownership, or executive changes? If you rebranded, reorganized, or refocused your company, updates to your employee handbook may be necessary so that all employees are on the same page.
- Morale – Having a completed and updated employee handbook sends a positive message to your employees. It demonstrates that you care about and recognize their needs by taking the time to lay out and regularly update the policies and procedures of your organization.
- Compliance – An updated employee handbook is one less compliance topic for you to have to worry about as an employer. It will serve as protection and proof for you during the course of an audit or investigation.
Wolfson and Klein-Wolfson, PLLC would be happy to assist you with your employee handbook needs. We can draft a new handbook, or review your current handbook, to make sure that it covers the applicable local, state and Federal laws, rules and regulations.
I’m Single, Should I Have A Will?
I'm Single, Should I Have a Will? Most people believe that only families need a will, but this is far from true. It is equally important for single people to have a will. When a person dies without leaving a will, it is said that they died intestate....
An Overview of Trusts for Pets
Trusts For Pets An Overview of Trusts for Pets An honorary trust or pet trust, ensures that pets are provided care and maintenance after the owner's death. This trust assures pet owners that their pets will have the utmost care for the duration of the pet’s...
An Overview of Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
An Overview of Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts “By Zach Di Blanda (Touro Law School) Extern for Wolfson and Klein-Wolfson, PLLC – Fall 2021” An Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust (ILIT) is a trust that is created to own and control a term or permanent life insurance...
Exit Interviews A Great Opportunity for Employers Once an employee gives you notice that they are leaving your company, this should not be the end of your communication with them. There are many benefits of spending time with a departing employee and having an exit...
Covid Vaccine Time Off
Covid Vaccine Time Off New York Paid Time Off for Covid VaccinesNew York employers must now provide employees with up to four (4) hours of paid time off for each COVID-19 vaccination. Here are some key facts about this new law: All New York employees are entitled to...
Selling Your Home
Selling Your Home “Sell Your Home Today! The Right Attorney Can Help” Are you a New York homeowner who is thinking about selling your home? The thought is crossing the minds of more and more homeowners as the post-pandemic housing market boom continues. Interest...
Estate Planning for Recent High School Graduates
Estate Planning For Recent High School Graduates As your child is dressed in their cap and gown and receiving their high school diploma, you likely have many thoughts in your head – pride; accomplishment; the passing of time; and your child’s future. One thing that...
Unemployment fraud in New York and throughout the nation has reached dramatically high levels during the Covid-19 pandemic. Over the last year, the Federal Department of Labor estimates that over $63 billion dollars has been improperly paid out due to fraud.
Life is Unpredictable, Protect the Ones You Love
Life is Unpredictable Protect the Ones You Love Covid 19. That’s all we hear or see these days. Every decision we make is influenced by it. Where will we go this weekend? Who will we see? How can we celebrate life’s most special occasions? What will my child’s...